This Chocolate Loaf is an essential recipe for your repertoire. Moist, dense and dangerously easy, this loaf is bound to become a household favourite.
1 cup The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup strong espresso coffee, cool
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 cups dark chocolate, chopped (the best quality you can lay your hands on)
140g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Now whisk the coffee, buttermilk and vanilla in a large jug and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate over a bowl of simmering water until glossy and smooth and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the batter, followed by the coffee, buttermilk mixture and finally, gently, fold through the melted chocolate.
- Spoon batter into your prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top feels firm and the loaf is beginning to pull away from the tin’s sides. Let cool on a wire rack before wrapping tightly and keeping at room temperature for up to four days.
Serve with a good sprinkle of sweet dukkah, goat’s curd and a drizzle of honey.