Ginger & Cardamom Biscuits
A simple yet elegant and delicious biscuit, make and serve these for morning tea or as gifts! The cardamom is gorgeous otherwise swap for cinnamon.
Prep time: 10 mins (plus 2 hours chilling)
Cook time: 20 mins
2 1/4 cups (285 grams) The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch salt
120g unsalted butter, melted 1/4 cup (85g) golden syrup
100g raw caster sugar
70g brown sugar (firmly packed)
2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
1/2 cup extra golden caster sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, bicarb soda, spices and salt in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl combine the melted butter, golden syrup, sugars, fresh ginger and egg and stir until well combined.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Turn out to a lightly floured work surface and gently knead until you have a lovely soft dough. Then cover and place in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours (you can also leave overnight).
- Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut, roll in the sugar and place on the baking sheets, gently press down with a fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack and store for up to a week in an airtight container.