Honey Spice Cake with Orange Buttercream
With gentle spices, tangy orange and beautiful buttercream filling, this cake is pure heaven. If you want this loaf to last a little longer, don’t bother with the buttercream filling, just wrap tightly in foil and serve either plain or toasted with a little smear of butter and jam the next day.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
3/4 cup The Healthy Baker Self Raising Flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
Zest of two oranges
1/2 cup natural yogurt or cream
For the buttercream frosting and orange glaze
150g butter, softened,
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 oranges (zest & juice)
1/2 cup marmalade
- Preheat your oven to 180C and grease and line a long loaf tin.
- Melt the honey and butter together in a small saucepan then set aside to cool for a little while.
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until they’ve doubled in volume and are light and fluffy, then sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Fold the flour mixture into the sugar and eggs, then add the cooled honey and butter and finally, fold through the natural yogurt or cream until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth over the top, then bake for 35 minutes. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream; combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Once the cake is cool, slice in half lengthways using a bread knife and spread the buttercream over the bottom half, sandwich with the top and you’re off and ready
- Finally, heat the marmalade and juice together in a small saucepan and cook for a couple of minutes then pour, still hot, over the cake just before serving.