Orange & Hazelnut Biscotti
These are wonderful with tea or coffee, or as the Tuscans do – dip into a shot of liqueur for dessert. Mix up the flavour combinations if you like – another favourite flavour is dark chocolate with finely chopped rosemary.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Makes about: 30
3 large free range eggs
300g caster sugar
Zest of one orange
1 tsp vanilla paste
400g The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda 100g hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with paper.
- Combine the eggs, sugar and orange zest in the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment and beat for a few minutes, until pale and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and bicarb soda and fold together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and bring together into a disc shape.
- Cut into three even pieces and shape these into logs, about 7cm width.
- Place on the lined trays (leaving plenty of space between the two logs) and bake for 30 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden and are firm to touch.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes then with a serrated knife, slice into biscuits, about 1cm thick.
- Return these to the baking trays and bake for another 25 minutes or until biscuits are dry and golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack and store for up to two weeks in an airtight container or jar. Serve with strong coffee!